Wednesday, May 2, 2007

A Lesson In Panning...

Panning? Huh? What's that? (It was a new word for me too.) Panning is when you move your camera to mimic the movement of the object you're trying to photograph. (Not an official definition - just my version.) In my case it was my son, Addison, on his scooter. He was scooting down the road - and I stood in place, followed his movement with my camera, and snapped part way through. Now if I did it correctly the effect that I'm supposed to achieve is that of having Addison in focus and everything behind him blurry (as if it were moving). Here's how mine turned out.



Pretty cool huh! Love photography tricks (especially now that I'm starting to learn them too!). There was another trick that we learned (This one is called "spinning" - it's a cool trick). You set your shutter to a slower speed and while snapping the picture take your zoom lens and spin it. This is the effect it creates.

The object in the center should be in focus and everything surrounding it spins out. I loved this one with the stained glass wings. The leaves behind it consequently ended up looking a little like stained glass too.

Thanks for letting me share - I'm having so much fun learning!

Hugs,

Aub

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Cool affect but makes me feel slightly sea sick LOL

Anonymous said...

Holy cow man! Cool pics! The dragonfly one makes me dizzy!